Headphones are a crucial part of any home recording studio.
However, they can sometimes be a pain to deal with, especially when the headphone wires get tangled despite your best efforts to avoid them.
Nonetheless, there are some things you can do to keep them from getting tangled in the first place.
Table of Contents
- 15 Methods to Stop Headphone Wires from Tangling
- 1. Coil the Headphone Wires Around Your Finger
- 2. Wrap the Twisted Headphone Wires Around a Drinking Straw
- 3. Wind the Wires Around a Pencil
- 4. Put the Headphones in a Stocking or Mesh Bag
- 5. Store Them in a Small Box or Container
- 6. Clip the Headphones to Your Clothes
- 7. Use a Twist Tie To Keep Them Together
- 8. Store Them in a Headphone Case or Pouch
- 9. Put Them in a Ziploc Bag
- 10. Loop the Wires Around Each Other on a Flat Surface
- 11. Hang the Headphones on a Hook
- 12. Use Binder Clips To Keep Them Together
- 13. Use Velcro Strips to Fasten Them Together
- 14. Keep the Headphones in a Drawstring Bag
- 15. Use a Headphone Stand
- Final Thoughts
15 Methods to Stop Headphone Wires from Tangling
Read on for detailed descriptions of each method and tips on using them effectively.
1. Coil the Headphone Wires Around Your Finger
One of the simplest ways to keep headphone wires from tangling is to coil them around your fingers. The method works best with thinner, more flexible headphone cords. To do that, follow these steps:
- Hold the end of the wire in one hand and begin wrapping it around your fingers in a spiral pattern.
- Wrap the wire around your fingers until you reach the end of the wire or the desired length.
- Stop wrapping and hold the coils in place with your fingers.
Here are a few tips you can follow when coiling headphone wires around your fingers:
- Be careful not to wrap the wire too tightly around your fingers.
- Do not wrap the wire too loosely either, as this could cause the coils to come undone easily.
- If you find the wire difficult to coil around your fingers, try using a pencil or another small cylindrical object to help.
Note: If the wires are already tangled, you may need to untangle them before implementing any of these methods. Here’s a quick video demo of how to untangle headphone cables:
2. Wrap the Twisted Headphone Wires Around a Drinking Straw
Another way to keep headphone wires from tangling is to wrap them around a straw. The method is similar to wrapping headphone wires around your fingers, but with a drinking straw in the middle.
Here’s how to do that:
- Take a drinking straw and hold one end of the headphone wire near the top of the straw.
- Wrap the wire around the straw in a spiral pattern.
- Tie a knot at the end of the wire to keep it from unraveling.
This method can be done with any drinking straw, but thicker straws work best.
3. Wind the Wires Around a Pencil
If you want to keep your headphone wires from tangling and prevent them from taking up too much space, you can wind them around a pencil.
It’s an excellent method for keeping long headphone wires tidy and organized. To do that, follow these steps:
- Start by holding one end of the headphone wires in your hand.
- Take a pencil and start winding the thin cables properly around it, starting at the top of the pencil and working your way down.
- As you curl the wires around the pencil, leave some slack so the cables don’t get too tight.
- Once you reach the end of the wires, you can tape them down or use a rubber band to keep them in place.
Now, whenever you need to use your headphones, all you have to do is unroll the wires from the pencil. When you’re done using them, roll them back up again.
4. Put the Headphones in a Stocking or Mesh Bag
Another method of keeping headphone wires from tangling is putting them in a stocking or mesh bag.
This type of bag is typically used for storing hosiery, but you can also use it for headphones. The fabric helps to keep the wires separated and organized, making them less likely to become tangled.
And when you’re ready to use your headphones, all you have to do is reach into the bag and grab them. There’s no need to take the time to untangle them first. This simple solution can save you a lot of time and frustration.
Next time you’re looking for a way to keep your headphone wires tidy, try using a stocking or mesh bag. It just might be the answer you’re looking for.
5. Store Them in a Small Box or Container
If you want to keep your headphone wires from tangling, one option is to store them in a small box or container. That way, they’ll be less likely to become tangled up when they’re not in use.
When choosing a box or container, look for something big enough to hold your headphones and all their wires. You don’t want it to be too big either—carrying your headphones around in a container that takes a lot of space won’t be practical.
A small jewelry box or mint tin can work well for this purpose. Ensure the lid fits snugly, so your headphones stay in place.
6. Clip the Headphones to Your Clothes
If you’re tired of having your headphone wires get tangled up in your clothes, there’s another easy solution: clip them to your clothes. That way, they’ll stay put and be less likely to become tangled.
There are a few different ways to do that, including:
- Use a clothespin or binder clip to attach the headphones to your shirt: Open up the clothespin or binder clip and attach it to your shirt. Then, loop the headphone wire through the opening and release the clip.
- Use a safety pin to attach the headphones to your clothing: Open up a safety pin, thread the headphone wire through it, and fasten the safety pin to your clothing.
- Use a paperclip to attach the headphones to your clothing: Open a paperclip, thread the headphone wire through it, and clip the paperclip to your clothing.
7. Use a Twist Tie To Keep Them Together
If you want an inexpensive and easy way to keep your headphone wires from tangling, try using a twist tie.
You can find twist ties at most stores. They’re often used to keep cable wires together, but you can also use them for headphones.
To use a twist tie, follow these steps:
- Take the headphone wires and twist them around the tie.
- Fasten the tie in place. That will help keep the wires together, making them less likely to become tangled.
8. Store Them in a Headphone Case or Pouch
If you want to keep your headphones wires from tangling, one option is to store your headphones in a dedicated headphone case or pouch.
There are many different types of cases and pouches available in which to store your headphones, so you should be able to find one that fits your needs.
Some cases and pouches have multiple compartments for different types of headphones. Others have loops or straps that can be used to keep the wires in place. Some are even designed specifically for holding headphones.
Here are a few tips for choosing a headphone case or pouch:
- Choose a case or pouch that’s big enough to store your headphones and their wires.
- Look for a case or pouch with compartments or loops to help keep the wires in place.
- If you have multiple pairs of headphones, look for a case or pouch with enough room to hold at least a few of them.
9. Put Them in a Ziploc Bag
Another option for keeping wires from tangling is to put them in a Ziploc bag.
That way, they’ll be less likely to become tangled up when they’re not in use.
When choosing a Ziploc bag, look for one that’s big enough to hold your headphones and all their wires. At the same time, you don’t want it to be so big that it takes up a lot of space.
You can also use a quart-sized or even a sandwich bag if necessary. Just make sure that the bag is big enough to fit your headphones.
10. Loop the Wires Around Each Other on a Flat Surface
Another option is to loop your headphones around each other. That way, they’ll be less likely to become tangled when not in use.
To do that, follow these steps:
- Take the wires and loop them around each other on a flat surface. You can do this a few times to ensure they’re secure.
- Tie the wires in a knot or use a clip to keep them together.
11. Hang the Headphones on a Hook
One way to keep your headphones from tangling is to hang them on a hook.
That can be especially useful if you have multiple pairs of headphones that you need to keep organized.
By hanging them up, you can avoid having to untangle them each time you want to use them. And if you have different types of headphones for various purposes, hanging them on a hook can help you keep track of which pair.
Several hooks are explicitly designed for hanging headphones, or you can use any that will fit over the earpiece.
Just make sure it’s strong enough to support the headphones’ weight and that it won’t damage the cord.
12. Use Binder Clips To Keep Them Together
Another sure-fire way to keep your wires from tangling is to use binder clips.
These are the same type of clips that are often used to hold papers together. But you can also use them for headphone cords.
To use binder clips, follow these steps:
- Put the binder clip on the headphone cord and close it, so it’s snug but not too tight.
- Attach the other end of the cord to the binder clip.
13. Use Velcro Strips to Fasten Them Together
If you’re tired of your headphones cables getting tangled, get some Velcro straps and use them to fasten your headphones together.
Here’s how to do that:
- Take a strip of Velcro and attach one side to each earpiece of your headphones.
- Once the Velcro is in place, wrap the headphone cord around the earpieces and secure the other side of the Velcro straps together.
14. Keep the Headphones in a Drawstring Bag
Another way to keep your twisted headphone wires from tangling is to keep them in a drawstring bag.
That will protect them from becoming knotted and tangled, and you can easily take them wherever you go.
Put the headphones in the bag, close the top, and voila—no more tangles!
If you want to get fancy, you can buy a drawstring headphone case specifically designed for this purpose, but any old bag will do the trick.
15. Use a Headphone Stand
If you have over-ear or on-ear headphones, a headphone holder is a great way to keep them from getting tangled.
It can also help you keep track of multiple pairs of headphones.
There are many types of headphone stands on the market, so you can choose one that best suits your needs. But they all serve the same purpose—to keep your headphones organized and tangle-free.
For starters, try this Havit RGB Headphones Stand from Amazon.com. It features a sturdy, stable construction and has an excellent, sleek design. Plus, it has built-in RGB lighting, so your headphones will look great on display.
Most people have experienced the frustration of tangled headphone wires. It can be challenging to untangle the wires and even more difficult to keep them from becoming tangled again.
But with a little effort, you can keep your headphone wires from tangling. Try one or more of the methods described above, and see which works best for you.
Remember, the key is to be proactive and take steps to prevent the wires from getting tangled in the first place.
- Review of the ALABS IRON MINI-WL: A Powerhouse Wireless Microphone - October 4, 2023
- What is a Saturator in Music Production: A Brief Explanation - May 11, 2023
- What Are Rotary DJ Mixers? An Overview - May 11, 2023
SoundStudiomagic.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We also participate in other affiliate programs which compensate us for referring traffic.